Monday, November 15, 2010

You say tomato, I say summer come back!

Don't get me wrong, I do love fall and winter- just this 'in between seasons' time drives me a bit crazy. No snow yet, maybe some rain- but either way its COLD!

This weekend, I went to the Hy-Vee Wine and Food Expo in Des Moines and had some of the best fresh mozzarella (and wines and more wines)! It made me think of my September adventure to the Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah, Iowa for the Tomato Tasting.




Seed Savers is a non profit preservation group aimed at protecting flower and vegetable seeds that have been passed down for generations. These are unique cultivated varieties that sometimes have interesting shapes and colors, but they are known for FLAVOR! Usually not the prettiest tomatoes or the tougher disease resistance, like today's 'improved' varieties but they usually have a strong following...

Today's tomatoes are mostly coming out of California (where I was), China, Turkey, and some other places- but either way, they have a long journey on a truck, airplane, or ship before they even think about landing in some of my cooking! Usually they are picked green because otherwise they would spoil en route, so what this means is that the tomato is not ripe (not like Great Grandma Hughes tomato).  In the winter, I usually buy the greenhouse or hot house tomatoes, coming out of Holland, where they have stayed on the vine to ripen a bit longer. They taste better, but still not as great as a summer tomato, and can be a little pricey. If I can't find these, you will find a 5'3'' girl sad and depressed in the produce department!



Here are some pics from the Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org). Truly Heartland at its finest!

 

I also included my bruschetta recipe... its best in the summer, with those fresh garden tomatoes! Its especially great for those summer entertaining. I know, I know, they are not in season- but its all the fresh mozzarella's fault. Sorry.

1 loaf French bread or baguette
1 garlic bulb, peeled and separated into cloves
3-4 lbs. fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
Fresh basil, some sliced and also whole leaves
Fresh mozzarella, sliced
Olive oil and red wine vinegar to taste
Salt and pepper to season

Slice the bread into pieces and brush olive oil on both sides. Put on a cookie sheet and bake for 375 degrees until bread is toasted. Rub the garlic cloves on the toast. Toss the onions and tomatoes in a medium bowl, combine with olive oil and red wine vinegar to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon this mixture over toasts and garnish with fresh mozzarella and basil leaves. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment