Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Little white lies... cheesecake edition

Little white lies can (and will) get you into trouble...

I was thinking about one of my birthday parties when I was about eight or nine. My grandma (bless her heart) made a cheesecake and we had a little celebration at the local nursing home, where my grandpa was at the time. Except this was no ordinary cheesecake- it was out of a box (no bake), made with sour milk (yes, I thought I was going to die), and sprinkles!

Usually I am excited about the sprinkles, cheesecake- it's ok, but not my favorite. My grandma kept asking me what I thought and I had to lie. I said it was delicious and I remember crossing my fingers under the table. And, that is how to this day, a cheesecake makes an appearance at every family member's birthday party and sometimes holiday gatherings. Obviously it has been perfected with all of the years of experience, but it is still out of the box. Sprinkles sometimes, even a cherry or strawberry topping to change things up a bit. When I left the Midwest and went to California, the cheesecake did not follow me but my family members were threatening to mail it.

 A couple of years ago, my then boyfriend, wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory. After overcoming some mild anxiety, I gave in and LOVED it. In addition to their variety of menu items, I tried out the chocolate raspberry cheesecake and it was/ is fantastic! I might have to go back soon.

That summarizes my love/ hate relationship with cheesecake.

I love my grandma, and she hits home runs on some of her baked goods, just not the cheesecake.

1 comment:

  1. I think Cheesecake should be left alone. Why all the seasonal flavors, etc.? I was married in 2001 and my Mom had/has a family favorite cheesecake recipe, so we decided this would be the wedding cake(s). 60 attendees, so 5 cheesecakes. I'm in Portland and Mom is in Texas. She actually made the cheesecakes there, had them pre-sliced at a bakery and then boxed and hand carried them (on a hand-cart) on the airplane! Way to go Mom! All arrived in perfect condition and we had several fruit compotes to go with. Also, I usually only want a few bites; cheesecake is rich!

    ReplyDelete