Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Proposal... all over a recipe!

With Thanksgiving, comes the anniversary of the unique proposal.

As I mentioned before, Adam (my now husband) and I like to cook, a lot. He had this recipe he would make for get togethers called Prairiefire. Its a cheese dip with layers of flavor- sweet, hot, spicy- and its best with Fritoes corn chips. He said he wouldn't share it with me until we were engaged or married, so I would try and guess the ingredients. I would always come so close to getting the recipe, but no luck.

Anyways, we were in Arizona for Thanksgiving two years ago. Adam's parents had built a home outside of Tucson and it is a great getaway, especially during the Holidays. It was raining that morning and Adam was acting strange. Turns out, he wanted to go on a hike in the Catalina mountains and that is where the proposal was going to happen. The day before, Adam's parents hiked the trail and hid a box under some rocks. In the box, was the recipe for Prairiefire. Here's the backside- I would get in trouble if I shared it...



We made it to the pools, Adam found the little rock pile with the recipe card. He was trying to talk to me about geocatching (where you leave little treasures for other hikers to find and can map it out on GPS, I still really don't know all that well exactly!). I was in shock, and said yes. After my arms stopped flailing, I tried the ring on, which was custom made from a private family jeweler in Chicago. It was beautiful and we hiked down the mountains, to his family. Later on that day, we had Thanksgiving dinner/ engagement party and frozen Champagne (Adam's dad left it in the freezer to chill, and it was a little forgotten).

We received a really nice gift from Adam's family: a recipe box. Throughout the vacation, Adam and I were busy copying family recipes. Adam's grandma offered up lots of great recipes from her mother. It was a really special time.

Tomorrow is the big Thanksgiving dinner, the first official Krupicka one. We are having friends over and entertaining in Northern Virginia. Before that, lots and lots to do (grocery shopping, floral arrangement, making placements, tons of cooking and cleaning!). It will be a late night and early morning, but well worth it.

Enjoy yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment