Saturday, December 4, 2010

The newest project... a vintage inspired quilt

There is nothing better than a handmade quilt especially on a very cold winter day. We all know how brutal Midwestern winters can be, so for me- its a perfect opportunity to get creative and keep busy. Plus, the end result is usually nice!

I made my first quilt as a 4-H project when I was a teenager. It was a log cabin quilt with varying blue and white fabrics. It won a grand champion at the Plymouth County Fair, and then advanced to the Iowa State Fair with a blue ribbon. Since then, I haven't really done too much in the ways of quilting.

The latest project is a vintage inspired quilt, made with reprinted 1930's fabrics... its been a little slow going but that is just fine with me. Here's a sample of the blocks...


Earlier this year, I did work on a couple of others. Currently, they are off to get quilted and I should expect to get these back in Spring sometime. 
This pattern is Ohio Buckeye. I chose brightly colored batiks. Batiks are fabrics that have a design created by hot wax. The patterns are 'painted' with hot wax and then the fabrics are dyed. The wax is peeled away, and sometimes the fabrics are re-dyed. That means, each yard of fabric can be very, very different.



And, sometimes I have 'help'. This is Rocco... I adopted him in late July, after he showed up at my friend's house and I felt sorry for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment