Monday, January 21, 2013

Crazy Coneflowers- A Must Have For Your Gardens

Sure enough, our weather in Iowa can be crazy...
The other day we didn't need jackets because it was so nice- yesterday we had close to three inches of snow! It was beautiful and unexpected- light, fluffy snow for most of the day. We were nice and cozy, and looking ahead to Spring. It was almost a perfect weekend, except for a spill on some very slippery ice where I thought I broke my arm (no worries- just a huge bruise that looks like I've been in a hockey match).

While being 'grounded' on the couch by my husband, I was looking into the best of our new plants and day dreaming about where they will be planted at our farm. One of my all time favorite categories for new perennials are the coneflowers or echinacea. Most, if not all of them, do well in zone 4- so perfect for Iowa- as well as further North and South. Butterflies love them- and so do we- because they make beautiful cut flowers that will bring a smile to anyone! Coneflower or echinacea, also has a strong presence in the pharmacy aisles, because they are proven to help in boosting immunity. See, they are pretty amazing and hard working! 

Coneflowers have come a long way from their very simple beginnings of prairie wildflowers.

And now thanks to hard working plant breeders, we have coneflowers in many unique colors such as orange, coral, reds, and yellows- single and doubled petaled flowers. Their names can be quite interesting- who knew 'Macaroni N Cheese' and 'Tomato Soup' can be best sellers in the plant world, aside from tasty dishes!

These new coneflowers scream summertime. Our bees and butterflies are going to be busy. Something tells me, they will be pretty happy about that...

These are some of my favorites that we have available for Spring.

Cheyenne Spirit
Double Scoop Orangeberry- double petals
Double Scoop Bubble Gum- double petals

Salsa Red - I love the bright red
Green Envy - lime green with pink centers!
I'm sure, breeders are going to continue being busy with this category. I sure hope so. I'm game for the newest and most unique- like I'm sure a lot of gardeners are!

No comments:

Post a Comment