Friday, June 3, 2011

The garden is planted.. heirloom tomatoes and all!

The garden is officially planted and doing well. This year, I wanted to try some very different heirloom tomatoes. I have a plot at the Black's Heritage Farm in Ames. I LOVE going out there and checking on the progress (even weeding!). Planted in the garden plot is heirloom tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, dill, lettuce (lots of interesting heirloom varieties), spinach, carrots, green beans, sugar peas, onions, garlic, and flowers!

This is a small part of the garden, as a week ago. A lot has grown since then!


The heirloom tomatoes are the stars of the show. These are the varieties that I am growing (but there are also a few grape tomatoes, Romas, and Big Beef tomatoes). I am ready for the fresh pasta sauce, pizza sauces, Caprese salads, and bruschetta! Actually, I can't wait... the heirlooms taste amazing and actually have distinct flavors.
                                                                      Black Pearl (Cherry)
Black Krim

Black Russian

Cherokee Purple

Aunt Ginny's Purple

Abraham Lincoln

Box Car Willie

Big Rainbow

Mr. Stripey

Tigerella (favorite!)

Green Zebra (another one of my favorites!)

Kellogg's Breakfast

Yellow Brandywine

Yellow Pear

Sausage

White Beauty

And also the Giant Tree Tomato.... which is supposed to get 6-7' tall. What was I thinking?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment