Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Iowa State Fair Memories & The Project

Gladiolus Show
The Iowa State Fair has officially wrapped up. Even though I might be a tad bit biased, we are extremely fortunate to have such a legendary event so close. Late Friday night, Adam and I took a break from work and checked it out.

For us, it was more exciting than usual because we have a farm. We've been dreaming of some livestock- Charolais and Shorthorn cattle, maybe just a few Berkshire pigs, chickens, and horses for me.

Enjoy!

Checking out the Big Boar








There was a tad bit of drama surrounding this year's famous Butter Cow





I was a ten year 4-Her in Plymouth County and every year that I was eligible, I had projects advance to the state fair. Of what went to the state fair, I received all blue ribbons in such categories as Food and Nutrition, Clothing, Personal Development and more! It was quite a feat because our county is extremely competitive. My favorite projects include violet jam, strawberry lemonade, a strawberry jelly roll, and even hamburger buns. The last project was definitely the hardest- not because of what it really was- but the circumstances that surrounded it. My grandma Waddell helped me bake these the same night that my father passed away at our home. Heavy stuff, I know but I couldn't have been the person I am without her patience and hard work ethic.

So, the project...
As you may know, I'm passionate about gardening, cooking, and a few other projects. I love to share my experiences and last week, we had a preliminary photo shoot at our farm. More details to come, that is... when the time is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment