Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pickle project

We are in the dog days of Summer.

Here in Iowa, we are having one of our worst droughts since the 1950's, or so they say. I'm a young little whippersnapper so I wasn't around then but I am sure it was bad. The leaves on the corn are curling, looking like sharp daggers, meaning the corn is very dry. Now is the time for pollination, which means the yields are going to be affected big time.

I'm not sure when the last good rain was. It has been in the upper 90's for quite some time. People are going to be a little excited when it cools down to 80, and digging in their closets for some long sleeves! Aside from everyone being tired (and a little crabby), the gardens look tired. It is even too hot and dry for the weeds to grow!

Since its been so hot, I've been restless.
So...on one of the hottest days of summer, Adam and I can pickles. (I know, I make a lot of sense...)

Growing up, my family did a lot of canning and preserving foods. I remember my great grandma making the best sweet pickles that were bright green because of the food coloring. Her garden was huge and it was a crime if anything went to waste, most likely the result of growing up in the Great Depression. Some of my favorite memories from growing up was the smell of fresh dill and the apples from the nearby trees in late Summer and early Fall and me playing ("cooking") in the play house. The playing would stop when the pickles (and other goodies) were ready, and we were the first ones to come running for the all important taste test. We meant business and took our jobs seriously.

I was lucky enough to learn how to can from three generations in my family. I even exhibited some canning projects at the Plymouth County Fair. Back in the day, some of these were selected as grand champion and advanced to the Iowa State Fair- major bragging rights because our county was full of fierce competition.

This weekend, I got back to my roots and had some cucumbers that needed to be used up. These were really great pickling ones at the perfect size for making pickles. Sometimes if they are too large, they don't fit in the jars well and lack flavor, the same with most other oversized/ super sized vegetables. 

Because we cook quite a bit, I thought about going all out on the pickle project. From my favorite cooking store in downtown Ames, I bought a mandolin so the cucumbers could be cut into crinkle cut pieces. After all, that makes the pickles more authentic!


All in all, it was a good day. A little (ok a lot!) hot in the kitchen but well worth the great bread and butter pickles.

Next week is looking like part two of the pickle project, as well as some salsas because the hot temperatures have the peppers and tomatoes on overdrive. We might as well save the flavors of summer, right?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment