Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring brings seed starting...

Lately, its been so nice outside...

Spring is right around the corner and I'm starting to think ahead about this year's garden.
Last year, I wasn't prepared and purchased my flowers and vegetable plants, unless I sowed seeds directly into the garden plot. Flying by the seat of your pants gardening!

This year, I'm planning on starting my heirloom tomatoes and peppers. Last Labor Day, Elizabeth (my friend and one of my gardening buddies) and I checked out the Seed Savers Tomato Tasting in Decorah, Iowa. We sampled 30+ tomatoes and then purchased seeds, and lots of them!


Here are some of my tricks and tips:

For a biodegradable seed starting option, try eggshells! Start saving eggshells a couple of weeks before you plan on sowing seeds. With each half, fill with seed starting medium or even a container planting mix. The egg cartons can be used as trays. Make sure there are holes in the bottom of the carton to allow for drainage. Follow your seed sowing instructions, and place on a heating mat or near a window. In a short amount of time, you should start seeing some great results...
When you are ready to move these to the garden, you can plant shells and all. 


There are also other great seed starting products available. Jiffy pots, peat pots, mini greenhouse seed starting kits, heating mats, Gro Lights, and the list goes on. Make sure you use a seed starting mix and then afterwards you can transplant your seedlings to a container potting mix and peat pots, unless you are using Jiffy pots. Make sure to follow the seed sowing instructions for best results- planting depth is very important!

Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. The tomato day sounds HEAVENLY! I want to go with you next year! Beau and I are getting anxious to garden, but since we can't plant anything per se (unless in a pot) we're feeling like our options are limited. Any suggestions? Or you could just come do it for us. That would work too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great!
      This year, its Labor Day weekend in Decorah, IA. Adam will be back permanently by then!

      I can help with suggestions... more to come on this!

      Delete