Monday, January 2, 2012

Traditions... Homemade Pizzas/ Greasy Taco Night

Growing up, our family would all get together at my Grandma and Grandpa's house for a homemade pizza night. My grandma would have dough ready, and not too long after that, all of the grandkids would come together to make every kind of pizza imaginable! Our toppings included: peppers and onions from the Summer's garden,  cheeses, hamburger, Canadian bacon, and at least ten other tasty options!

The pizza dough was pressed out, and then us kids were able to do the fun part of working with the toppings! I remember cousins (and myself) testing the limits and putting on SO much cheese and getting the wrath of Grandma Waddell. For the record, those pizzas were usually the ones that were finished first!  When I was younger, I thought I had never seen so much pizza in my life!

Here's the tradition I married into: greasy taco night! On these nights, calories don't count (or that's what we tell ourselves).

Here is Nancy (Adam's grandma) at Day 3 of festivities in Chicago.

 And Adam, cooking up a storm!
Thanks for the pics, Steve!

Here's the recipe, from the 'Let Them Eat Pork' cookbook!

Greasy Tacos 
Use good corn 'homemade type' refrigerated tortillas.
Use ground hamburger or ground chuck (raw).
Put meat on 1/2 a tortilla but do not fold until ready to cook.
Heat canola oil to approximately 375 degrees.
Fold tortilla with meat in half and hold with tongs. Submerge half in oil, then towards the bottom.
Let go of the tortilla and fry until the hamburger is cooked.
Drain, and then serve with: green onion, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, grated sharp cheddar cheese, taco sauce (for me), and ketchup (everyone else, I can't do ketchup on tacos... its just wrong!).

Adam and I have taco/ enchilada night for entertaining in Virginia. We go a little over the top.. here's a pic of the Tres Leche Cake (Three Milks) that Adam made. It was as delicious as it looked.

This is our usual entertaining menu: 
Appetizers: PrairieFire Dip, Mexican Shrimp (marinated in cilantro, lime & jalapeno)
Main Course: Greasy Tacos and Chicken Enchiladas
Salad ('cause we have to pretend to eat kind of healthy, right?!):
Frito Salad (Iceberg, Frito corn chips, grated sharp cheddar, Romano cheese dressing and toss!)
Dessert: Tres Leche Cake

Hope you aren't too hungry now...

No comments:

Post a Comment