Sunday, November 14, 2010

Purple Ribbon Chicken Soup... (I'm sick)

I don't get sick very often, but when I do.. look out.

I have this cold that will not leave, so I had to break out the chicken noodle soup recipe. Growing up my mom would make this for part of the dinner on Christmas Eve, right before our church program. The 'Purple Ribbon' part of the recipe is because- back in the day, my brother showed chickens once at the Iowa State Fair - I have no idea how, but I know I got roped into helping. I probably was not a huge help, but I am a huge fan of the Iowa State Fair.

Typically, Adam (my husband) loves to make this if I get sick or if its cold out. When I told him today I was doing this today he was a little sad. He lives in Washington D.C. and will be moving out to Iowa in the Spring.

4-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
4-6 celery stalks, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole chicken, chopped into smaller pieces
3 quarts chicken broth
2 Tbsp. butter
About 3 cups of egg noodles (we usually did homemade noodles)
Flat leaf parsley, chopped 
Salt and pepper to season (and you could be in trouble if you are like me today, and can barely breathe!)

Season and saute the vegetables in extra virgin olive oil, until soft. Then add broth, butter, chicken, and egg noodles. Cook for at least 20-30 minutes and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. And update: feeling much better! And I have enough soup to feed a small army...

    ReplyDelete